The Administrative Palace (nowadays The Prefecture and The County Council) was initially a space dedicated to The Town Hall. The construction started on 22 August 1898 and the reception took place on 9 May 1900. The Council Room is very impressive by its Moorish style. The works were completed in 1904 by mounting the clock. When Gorj County was formed in 1968, new spaces were added to the central building of The Town Hall (whose wings were demolished) due to the need of spaces for the political and administrative headquarters.
Târgu Jiu Town Hall (no. 19 Constantin Brâncuşi Boulevard) is an important building that impresses with architectural style and grandeur, the cornerstone of which was laid on 11 July 1932 and was initially an apprentice school.
Cornea Brăiloiu House was built in 1710, in Vădeni and is a historical and architectural monument in Brâncoveanu style. A church was built inside the house.
Vasile Moangă House (Siret Street) was built around 1770 being the property of Vasile Moangă, a friend of Tudor Vladimirescu to whom the leader of the revolution told the plan of the movement organized with his Pandours in January 1821.
Dumitru Mălădrescu House (no. 36, Tudor Vladimirescu Street) is one of the oldest and the most interesting houses in terms of architecture. It has a rich history, reminiscent of diplomacy (boyars and leaders) and cruelty (after the defeat of the Revolution of 1821 the Turks made piles of the Pandours’ heads they had killed).
Barbu Gănescu House is near the (current) Administrative Palace and represents a monument of old architecture from Gorj, dating from the XVIIIth century. Constantin Brâncuşi was hosted in this house between 1937-1938 when he worked at The Monumental Ensemble “The Heroes’ Path”.
Iosif Keber Memorial House is situated on 11 June 1848 Street and houses a collection of paintings and an art library being considered an architectural monument.
Sâmboteanu Fountain is located near The Water Tower and was built at the end of the XVIIIth century by the intendant Ianache Sâmboteanu, from Gorj County, being the place from where the town was supplied with water.
The Cathedral (The Church of Holy Voievodes or The Church of Merchants) in Victoria Square, was built by city merchants (important founders being Dobre Sârbu and Radu Cupeţu) starting with 1748 on the place of the old church which was built in 1717. The exterior painting is decorated with the prophets ‘faces and was enriched within the restoring period 1933-1940 by the contribution of the famous painter Iosif Keber.
The Church of Peter and Paul Saints on The Heroes Street was built between 1929-1938, on the site of an old church (dating from the XVIIIth century,) on the axis of the Monumental Ensemble devoted to the memory of the heroes by the great artist Constantin Brâncuşi.
St. Nicholas Church (11 June 1848 Street) was built in the XVIIIth century by the Archpriest Andrei Schevofilax in byzantine architectural style. As in the case of the Cathedral, the painter Iosif Keber has contributed to the restoration of the exterior painting in 1980.