Sights

Tourist Attractions

The Kissing GateThe Endless ColumnThe Table of SilenceChristian Tell County LibraryElvira Godeanu Dramatic TheatreEcaterina Teodoroiu Memorial HouseAlexandru Ştefulescu County MuseumThe Art MuseumTudor Vladimirescu’s StatueGeneral Gheorghe Magheru’s StatueAlexandru Ştefulescu’s BustEcaterina Teodoroiu’s Mausoleum


The Kissing Gate – is the space that makes the transition to another world. The symbol of the kiss carved on the two pillars could be perceived as the inward eye. The work is made of Banpotoc travertine being 5.13 m high, 6.45 long, with one side of the pillars of 1.69 m.


The Endless Column – is a true “spiritual testament” of the great artist, a true Axis mundi as if designed to support the sky, being considered “the peak of modern art” by Sidney Geist. It is made out of 17 rhomboidal cast iron modules measuring 29.33 m high. The modules of 1.80 m in height and about 860 kg are mounted on a shaft of steel embedded in a concrete foundation with a side of 5 m.


The Table of Silence– is the peasant’s table and also the table where the combatants were sitting down before a confrontation in the battle. Made of travertine, it has the following dimensions: the flat surface has a diameter of 2.15 m and a thickness of 0.43 m; the leg has a diameter of 2 m and a thickness of 0.45 m. Initially, the 12 chairs placed around it were much closer to the table and arranged two by two.

“Christian Tell” County Library on Heroes Street is a vibrant part of the community’s promotion of culture, education and lifelong learning in Târgu Jiu and Gorj County. It organises various major events at county and national level in collaboration with other institutions.

“Elvira Godeanu” Dramatic Theatre –- established on 6 June 1993 is of particular importance in providing for the public this exceptional cultural space where theatrical movement can be developed and future generations of actors, followers of Elvira Godeanu, can be trained. Since 26 October 2002 the theatre has a new, modern hall where performances, theatre festivals and other cultural events are appreciated by the public.

“Ecaterina Teodoroiu” Memorial House – is situated in Vãdeni neighbourhood, on DN 66 Târgu Jiu-Petroşani. The house, where Ecaterina Teodoroiu (1894 – 1917) was born, was built in 1884 by her parents and has two rooms: a living room with fireplace and a bedroom. There is a porch in front of the house and on the west side. Until 1945 the house was inhabited by family members and since 1959, after restoration, it became a memorial house. There is an exhibition of photographs, documents and personal objects of the second lieutenant Ecaterina Teodoroiu, faithfully recreating the atmosphere where the so-called “The Heroine of Jiu” lived.

“Alexandru Ştefulescu” County Museum – was founded on 16 July 1894 on the initiative of scholars of the time, including Alexandru Ştefulescu, Iuliu Moisil and Aurel Diaconovici. The museum has specialized sections of ethnography, archaeology, history, numismatics, religious objects, natural sciences and is housed in The Administrative Palace of that time located on Geneva Street. The Museum has more than 24,000 objects relating to the history of Gorj which were collected, investigated and processed through others by the historian Alexandru Ştefulescu. It also includes a gallery of historical figures from Gorj since the XVIth century.

The Art Museum – is located in the Central Park of the town presenting paintings and artwork of local artists, various religious art objects and sculptures.


Tudor Vladimirescu’s Statue– is located in the park, in front of “Tudor Vladimirescu” National High School and it is the work of the sculptor C. Bălăcescu being raised in November 1898 by a group of students from Gorj and having as honorary president, the historian Grigore Tocilescu.

General Gheorghe Magheru’s Statue – was unveiled on 7 October 1972 and is the work of the sculptor V. Năstăsescu, located at the intersection of Eroilor and Gheorghe Magheru streets where his house used to be.

Alexandru Ştefulescu’s Bust – the work of the sculptor Vasile Blend was unveiled in 1937. Alexandru Ştefulescu (1856-1910), primary school teacher, school inspector, journalist, archaeologist and numismatist was a famous animator of the cultural life in the town, his writings having a valuable contribution to our understanding of the past of Gorj County.

Ecaterina Teodoroiu’s Mausoleum – sarcophagus ornamented with bas-relief was built in 1935, in the Square of The Administrative Palace by the artist Miliţa Petraşcu, a student of Constantin Brâncuşi, in order to house the remains of “the Heroine of Jiu”. The statue of Ecaterina Teodoroiu, done by Iulia Oniţă, was unveiled on 22 January 1979, in the C.A.M. area.